Re: [BUG REPORT] General protection fault while discarding extents on XFS on next-20240305

On Wed, Mar 06, 2024 at 07:18:02AM -0800, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> Lookings at this a bit more I'm not sure my fix is enough as the error
> handling is really complex.  Also given that some discard callers are
> from kernel threads messing with interruptibility I'm not entirely
> sure that having this check in the common helper is a good idea.

Yeah, this seems like a problem. The only places that userspace
should be issuing discards directly and hence be interruptible from
are FITRIM, BLKDISCARD and fallocate() on block devices.

Filesystems already handle fatal signals in FITRIM (e.g. see
xfs_trim_should_stop(), ext4_trim_interrupted(),
btrfs_trim_free_extents(), etc), so it seems to me that the only
non-interruptible call from userspace are operations directly on
block devices which have no higher level iteration over the range to
discard and the user controls the range directly.

Perhaps the solution is to change BLKDISCARD/fallocate() on bdev to
look more like xfs_discard_extents() where it breaks the range up
into smaller chunks and intersperses bio chaining with signal
checks.

I suspect the same solution is necessary for blkdev_issue_zeroout()
and blkdev_issue_secure_erase(), because both of them have user
controlled lengths...

-Dave.
--
Dave Chinner