Re: kernel oops on bcachefs umount, 6.7 kernel

On Thu, Feb 15, 2024 at 07:24:23PM -0500, Kent Overstreet wrote:
> > It looks like the warning could be avoided in bcachefs by checking for
> > whether the parent dir/node still exists at cleanup time, but I'm not
> > familiar enough with kobj management to say whether that's the
> > right/best solution. It also looks a little odd to me to see a
> > /sys/block/<dev>/bcachefs dir when I've not seen any other fs or driver
> > do such a thing in the block sysfs dir(s).
> >
> > Any thoughts on this from the block subsystem folks? Is it reasonable to
> > leave this link around and just fix the removal check, or is another
> > behavior preferred? Thanks.

This is the general problem with random cross-subsystem sysfs reference,
and why they are best avoided.  The block layer tears down all the sysfs
objects at del_gendisk time as no one should start using the sysfs files
at that point, but a mounted file system or other opener will of course
keep the bdev itself alive.

I'm not sure why bcachefs is doing this, but no one really should be
using the block layer sysfs structures and pointers except for the block
layer itself.

> so there's an existing bd_holder mechanism that e.g. device mapper uses
> for links between block devices. I think the "this block device is going
> away" code knows how to clean those up.
>
> We're not using that mechanism - and perhaps we should have been, I'd
> need a time machine to ask myself why I did it that way 15 years back.

Well, at least Tejun had a very strong opinion that no one should be
abusing sysfs symlinks for linking up subsystems at all, see commit
49731baa41df404c2c3f44555869ab387363af43, which is also why this code
is marked deprecated and we've not added additional users.