Re: LVM kernel lockup scenario during lvcreate

On Thu, 2023-08-24 at 22:01 +0200, Jaco Kroon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2023/08/24 19:29, Laurence Oberman wrote:

> > > To me the call traces suggest that an I/O request got stuck.
> > > Unfortunately call traces are not sufficient to identify the root
> > > cause
> > > in case I/O gets stuck. Has debugfs been mounted? If so, how
> > > about
> > > dumping the contents of /sys/kernel/debug/block/ into a tar file
> > > after
> > > the lockup has been reproduced and sharing that information?
> > >
> > > tar -czf- -C /sys/kernel/debug/block . >block.tgz
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bart.
> > >
> > One I am aware of is this
> > commit 106397376c0369fcc01c58dd189ff925a2724a57
> > Author: David Jeffery <djeffery@xxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > Can we try get a vmcore (assuming its not a secure site)
>
> Certainly.  Obviously on any host handling any kind of sensitive data
> there is a likelihood that sensitive data may be present in the
> vmcore,
> as such I more than happy to create a vmcore, I'm assuming this will
> create a kernel version of a core dump ... with 256GB of RAM (most of
> which goes towards disk caches) I'm further assuming this file can be
> potentially large.  Where will this get stored should the capture be
> made?  (I need to ensure that the filesystem has sufficient storage
> available)
>

> > Add these to /etc/sysctl.conf
> >
> > kernel.panic_on_io_nmi = 1
> > kernel.panic_on_unrecovered_nmi = 1
> > kernel.unknown_nmi_panic = 1
> >
> > Run sysctl -p
> > Ensure kdump is running and can capture a vmcore
> Done.  Had to enable a few extra kernel options to get all the other
> requirements, so scheduled a reboot to activate the new kernel. This
> will happen on Saturday morning very early.
> >
> > When it locks up again
> > send an NMI via the SuperMicro Web Managemnt interface
>
> Possible to send from sysrq at the keyboard?  Otherwise I'll just
> need
> to set up the RMI, will just be easier to do this from the keyboard
> if
> possible, it's not always if it's left too late.
>

> > Share the vmcore, or we can have you capture some specifics from it
> > triage.
>
> I'd prefer you let me know what you need ... security concerns and
> all
> ... frankly, I highly doubt there is any data that is really so
> sensitive that it can be classified as "top secret" but we do have
> NDAs
> in place prohibiting me from sharing anything that may potentially
> contain customer related data ...
>
> Kind regards,
> Jaco

Hello, this would usually need an NMI sent from a management interface
as with it locked up no guarantee a sysrq c will get there from the
keyboard.
You could try though.

As long as you have in /etc/kdump.conf

path /var/crash
core_collector makedumpfile -l --message-level 7 -d 31

This will get kernel only pages and would not be very big.

I could work with you privately to get what we need out of the vmcore
and we would avoid transferring it.

Thanks
Laurence