Re: LVM kernel lockup scenario during lvcreate

Hi,

On 2023/07/11 16:45, Bart Van Assche wrote:

On 7/11/23 06:22, Jaco Kroon wrote:
So *suspected* mq-deadline bug?

That seems unlikely to me. I have not yet seen mq-deadline causing an
I/O lockup. I'm not claiming that it would be impossible that there is a
bug in mq-deadline but it seems unlikely to me. However, I have seen it
many times that an I/O lockup was caused by a buggy HBA driver and/or
HBA firmware so I recommend to start with checking these thoroughly.
Care to share how or at least point me in a direction please?

Supermicro has responded with appropriate upgrade options which
we've not executed yet, but I'll make time for that over the coming weekend, or perhaps I should wait a bit longer to give more time for a similar lockup with the none scheduler?

If this is possible, verifying whether the lockup can be reproduced without I/O scheduler sounds like a good idea to me.

If I had a reliable way to trigger this it would help a great deal.  Currently we're at 14 days uptime with scheduler set to none rather than mq-deadline, previously we had to hard reboot approximately every 7 days ... again, how long is a piece of string?  A lockup proves the presence of an issue, but how long must it not lock up to prove the absence of?

Ideas/Suggestions?

Kind regards,
Jaco