Re: LVM kernel lockup scenario during lvcreate

Hi Bart,

On 2023/06/12 20:40, Bart Van Assche wrote:
On 6/9/23 00:29, Jaco Kroon wrote:
I'm attaching dmesg -T and ps axf.  dmesg in particular may provide
clues as it provides a number of stack traces indicating stalling at
IO time.

Once this has triggered, even commands such as "lvs" goes into
uninterruptable wait, I unfortunately didn't test "dmsetup ls" now
and triggered a reboot already (system needs to be up).

To me the call traces suggest that an I/O request got stuck. Unfortunately call traces are not sufficient to identify the root cause in case I/O gets stuck. Has debugfs been mounted? If so, how about dumping the contents of /sys/kernel/debug/block/ into a tar file after the lockup has been reproduced and sharing that information?

Looks to be mounted, at least I've got a /sys/kernel/debug/block/ folder on the relevant server.

tar -czf- -C /sys/kernel/debug/block . >block.tgz

Definitely can do, I'm not sure how to interpret the data in this - is there anything specific you're looking for?  Would love to not just pass the information on but also learn from this.

Generally the lockup rate seem to be about once a week currently so I expect (on average) to see this pop again some time over the weekend.

Kind regards,
Jaco