Re: [patch] nd_blk,nd_pmem,nd_btt: add endio blktrace events

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 09:55:10AM -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 02:43:58PM -0500, Jeff Moyer wrote:
> >> But on the issue side, we have different trace actions: Q vs. I.  On the
> >> completion side, we just have C.  You'd end up getting two C events for
> >> each Q, and that may confuse existing utilities (such as blkparse, btt,
> >> iowatcher, fio, etc), not to mention any scripts built around the
> >> tracepoints, and any users looking at the raw blkparse output.
> >>
> >> So, are you suggesting we add another action on the endio side?  If so,
> >> that's a different patch set.  ;-)  If you're suggesting this multiple C
> >> event thing, I'm not on board with that.
> >
> > Ok, good point.  It's a little bit annoying how asymetic the tracepoints
> > are, but fixing it now might cause more harm than it helps.
> >
> > That being said, it might still be a good idea to have bio_endio call
> > the tracepoint, we'll just need a __bio_endio to bypass the tracepoints
> > for calls from the request layer.  That way all bio-based drivers will
> > automatically do the right thing.
>
> OK, I'll look into that.  I'm also still trying to decide whether a
> separate endio event would be useful.  Any opinions on that are welcome.
> It could show up in blkparse as 'E'.  For btt, I guess we could add a
> Q2E column.  I'm not sure C2E would ever be interesting, but maybe?

FWIW I think BRD has this same issue where we get block_bio_queue tracepoint
events but not block_bio_complete.  Solving this in bio_endio() would fix that
driver as well.

Where does the Q (bio enqueue), I (req insert), etc. naming show up?  Looking
at a tracepoint trace in perf I don't see that naming.  Is that just a short
hand used between developers, or is it something else?