automatically detach missing cache devices

Hi there,

I am using an usb pen drive as portable rootfs, which works great even
within VirtualBox.
Because it is a bit slow I have configured write-through cache devices
on my main systems and it works great.

However the fact that a bcache device won't initialize in case its
caching device is missing (even for write-through) means I have to
manually detach the cache device of the current computer before
shutdown in case I would like to boot the pendrive somewhere else.
Another option would be to unconditionally remove it during shutdown,
which means I would loose all cached data at every boot - even when
booting the stick a dozen times on the same machine.

Is there some way to tell bcache to detach a caching device
automatically in case it is missing?

Thanks and best regards, Clemens