Re: [RFC] Add sysctl option to drop disk flushes in bcache? (was: Bcache in writes direct with fsync)

On Tue, 24 May 2022, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2022 at 02:34:23PM -0700, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> > Is this flag influced at all when /sys/block/sdX/queue/scheduler is set
> > to "none", or does the write_cache flag operate independently of the
> > selected scheduler?
>
> This is up to the stacking driver.  dm and tend to pass through flushes
> where needed.
>
> > This confirms what I have suspected all along: We have an LSI MegaRAID
> > SAS-3516 where the write policy is "write back" in the LUN, but the cache
> > is flagged in Linux as write-through:
> >
> > 	]# cat /sys/block/sdb/queue/write_cache
> > 	write through
> >
> > I guess this is the correct place to adjust that behavior!
>
> MegaRAID has had all kinds of unsafe policies in the past unfortunately.
> I'm not even sure all of them could pass through flushes properly if we
> asked them to :(

Thanks for the feedback, great info!

In your experience, which SAS/SATA RAID controllers are best behaved in
terms of policies and reporting things like io_opt and
writeback/writethrough to the kernel?