Re: Consistent failure of bcache upgrading from 5.10 to 5.15.2

On 1/6/22 11:55 PM, Coly Li wrote:
On 1/6/22 5:25 PM, Frédéric Dumas wrote:
Hello!

Many thanks to Eric for describing here and in his previous email the bug I experienced using bcache on SSDs formatted as 4k sectors. Thanks also to him for explaining to me that all I had to do was reformat the SSDs into 512-byte sectors to easily get around the bug.

I'm not sure how to format it 4k, but this is how Frédéric set it to 512
bytes and fixed his issue:

# intelmas start -intelssd 0 -nvmeformat LBAFormat=0

Right.
To format an Intel NVMe P3700 back to 4k sectors, the command is as follows:

# intelmas start -intelssd 0 -nvmeformat LBAFormat=3

The parameter LBAformat specifies the sector size to set. Valid options are in the range from index 0 to the number of supported LBA formats of the NVMe drive, however the only sector sizes supported in Intel® NVMe drives are 512B and 4096B which corresponds to indexes 0 and 3 respectively.

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057964/memory-and-storage.html

Oddly enough the user manual for the intelmass application [1] (formerly isdct) forgets to specify the possible values to be given to the LBAformat argument, which makes it much less useful. :-)

Hi Frederic,

Many thanks for the information. BTW, could you please tell me the detail information about your Intel NVMe P3700 SSD, I will try to find it in local market.

I try to find some PCI-e interface Intel P3700 SSDs with 400G or 800G capacity. If I am lucky, they may reach my location within 2 weeks, hope I may reproduce same operation as you did on these SSDs.

Coly Li