Re: Write I/O queue hangup at random on recent Linus' kernels

On 11/26/21 10:58 AM, Kenneth R. Crudup wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2021, Jens Axboe wrote:
>
>> Can you apply this on top of 5.16-rc2 or current -git and see if it fixes
>> it for you?
>
> Since it's related to writeback throttling, is there anything I can try to
> taunt it? I was thinking "iozone" or "bonnie++", but if there's something
> better, let me know.

I'd just do what you usually do, that's usually the best way to gain
confidence in the fix. But it's related to writeback throttling _and_
racing with eg iostats grabbing a reference to the request, so it would
be more likely to trigger with a heavier combination of those two.

That said, I'm pretty confident in the fix, so if you'd just use it for
a day or two, then with the previous amount of hangs you saw on -rc2 it
should provide a good level of confidence in it.

--
Jens Axboe