Re: Undoing an "Auto-Stop" when Cache device has recovered?

Am Di., 6. Apr. 2021 um 14:16 Uhr schrieb Marc Smith <msmith626@xxxxxxxxx>:

> My thought was to use "panic" in the 'errors' sysfs attribute so the
> machine panics instead of detaching the cache device. Otherwise, it
> seems the cache device gets detached with dirty data present, and the
> backing device is started (yet data is not present).
>
> I'll work on reproducing the original case with the "unregister" value
> and provide logs, as it sounds like this behavior is unexpected (eg, a
> cache device should only detach if there is NO dirty data present).

It could be useful to switch the caching mode to write-around at the
same time, so no data would be written to the device accidentally.

For consistency reasons, the backing device should become inaccessible
when the cache device with dirty data goes away. If the cache is
clean, the cache can just be detached. So it should have an "auto"
option which does either the one or the other thing depending on
caching state.