multiple caches code is being removed, what is the recommended alternative?

­Hi All,

I recently saw a series of patches to remove multiple caches code [1] For me, having one large mirrored write cache is desirable, so I can make this structure:

|                         btrfs raid 1 (2 copies) /mnt                     |
+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
| /dev/bcache0 | /dev/bcache1 | /dev/bcache2 | /dev/bcache3 | /dev/bcache4 |
+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+--------------+
|                   Mirrored  Writeback Cache (SSD)                        |
|                         /dev/sda3 and /dev/sda4                          |
| Data         | Data         | Data         | Data         | Data         |
| /dev/sda8    | /dev/sda9    | /dev/sda10   | /dev/sda11   | /dev/sda12   |

This way I don't have to worry about data loss when one of the SSD's or one of the hard drives fails, and I have maximum performance for the least amount of drives.

With the code for multiple caches removed, what is the recommended way forward?
What is the best way to use 2 SSD's with different size and speed, while keeping enough redundancy to survive a single drive failure?

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/linux-bcache/20200822114536.23491-1-colyli@xxxxxxx/T/#t

---

Take your mailboxes with you. Free, fast and secure Mail & Cloud: https://www.eclipso.eu - Time to change!