Re: Bcache in Ubuntu 18.04 kernel panic

Thank you Matthias and Mauricio for your replies and guidance.

Since I'm not exactly sure it's the same bug I'll open a ticket.

Fwiw mine occurred while rsyncing a large (approx 1.4T) home dir from
an XFS w/no bcache to an XFS on bcache which didn't have a cache set
e.g.  make-bcache -B /dev/vg-bfd02/t3home_bc and not attach a cache
set. With between 100-200GB remaining kernel panic.

I also encountered it with a larger (~2.5T) rsnapshot tree.

I did not encounter it when rsyncing 4.3T tree containing zip files
ranging from 10s of MBs to approx 2GB.

The bcache device was available after reboot and I was able to finish
the rsync.

The obvious workaround was to always ensure the bcache dev is attached
to a cache set. With that configuration full rsyncs completed as
expected.

Regards,
Brendan