Re: Several bugs/flaws in the current(?) bcache implementation

On 12/11/2019 06:39, Christian Balzer wrote:
>> From internal
>> customers and external users, the feedback of maximum writeback rate is
>> quite positive. This is the first time I realize not everyone wants it.
>>
> The full speed (1TB/s) rate will result in initially high speeds (up to
> 280MBs) in most tests, but degrade (and cause load spikes -> alarms) later
> on, often resulting in it taking LONGER than if it had stuck with the
> 4MB/s minimum rate set.
> So yes, in my case something like a 32MB/s maximum rate would probably be
> perfect.

I have some backup/archival targetted "drive-managed" SMR drives which
include a non-SMR magnetic storage cache area which can cause this sort
of behaviour.

Sustained random writes make the drives fill their cache, and then
performance falls off a cliff, since the drive must start making many
read-modify-write passes in the SMR area.

e.g. this latency result:

https://www.storagereview.com/images/seagate_archive_8tb_sata_main_4kwrite_avglatency.png

(taken from https://www.storagereview.com/node/4665) - which illustrates
performance after the drive's non-SMR internal write cache area is full.

There is somewhat similar behaviour from some SSDs (plus the additional
potential problem of thermal throttling from sustained writes, and other
internal house-keeping operations):

https://www.tweaktown.com/image.php?image=images.tweaktown.com/content/8/8/8875_005_samsung-970-evo-plus-ssd-review-96-layer-refresh_full.png

Perhaps bcache could monitor backing store write latency and back-off to
avoid this condition?

Tim.