Re: Sysfs-Configurable readahead and background bypasses

Hello Coly,

I agree with you wholeheartedly, which was the reason for my patch and
email. But you seem to have gotten it the wrong way around.
You see, ever since
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/b41c9b0266e8370033a7799f6806bfc70b7fd75f
was merged into bcache in late 2017 any IO flagged as REQ_RAHEAD or
REQ_BACKGROUND is simply skipped (bypassed) and no longer considered for
caching at all, regardless of IO pattern.

If what you say holds true, it sounds like that patch was wrongfully
merged back then, as it has introduced the behaviour you do not want
now. If you believe it makes an exception for sequential FS metadata, I
would very much like you to review that patch again, as that is not the
case.

My patch on the other hand aims to revert this change by default, so it
is all about IO patterns again, but make it configurable for users who
want this new behaviour.