Re: accelerate writeback when frontend devices have small amount of IO requests

On 11/26/18 7:55 PM, xingyi wu wrote:
> hello guys,
>     We have upgraded kernel and found many exited optimizations in
> writeback flow control, including set max writeback rate when the
> backend device is idle. this is very helpful to keep a smaller size of
> dirty data and when large amount of IO requests come, the caching system
> can store more data.
>     But in our system, backend device  is unlike to be totally idle
> because our clients always keep sending IO requests to the frondend
> device, even though sometimes the rate could be rather slow(like several
> kb/s), in such case, the backend device is rather "idle" and we hope to
> have higher writeback to keep smaller dirty data size. Does it make
> sense? Is is possible to implement?  Thanks.

It is possible to implement a minimum writeback rate, and let the
minimum value of self-adopted writeback rate always being >=
minimum_writeback_rate.

But a larger writeback rate may increase regular I/O latency, so it is
not recommended when there is no much dirty data. Could you please to
provide a real case why you care about writeback performance more than
regular I/O performance ?

Thanks.

Coly Li