Early boot parameters

Hoi All,

In 2013 I started using bcache-tools, and packaged bcache-tools for Fedora (which meant changes to lvm2, util-linux packages for proper integration). Although having been a happy user ever since, I missed the option to specify specific parameters (sequential_cutoff, congested_read_threshold_us, etc) in a very early stage during boot. My intention was to speedup the boot process for my laptop, and this could best be done right before the root FS was mounted from the initial ramdisk.

My solution is here: https://github.com/g2p/bcache-tools/pull/20

Unfortunately the bcache-tools maintainer back then was not able to review, so it got kind of stuck in the process. Being the maintainer of the Fedora bcache-tools package nothing stopped me from including it anyway, and so I did. And it did help me to speed up the boot process!

Although it works like a charm, there's one drawback: it pollutes the kernel cmdline, which is limited in size.

So now the community seems to be operational again, this might be good moment to ask some feedback. I'd appreciate it if some of you would share your thoughts on this:

 * Do you see an alternative for the kernel cmdline approach?
 * Would it be useful in general to have more control over "volatile"
   parameters like sequential_cutoff, congested_read_threshold_us, etc?
   For example by means of a /etc/bcache.conf file?

Thanks!

Rolf