Re: bcache and hibernation

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> Could you explain why this isn't a problem with writethrough? It seems
> to me that the trouble happens when the hibernation image is *read*, so
> why does it matter what kind of write caching is used?

With writethrough you can set up your loader to read it directly from
the backing device-- e.g. you don't need the cache, and there's at
least some valid configurations; with writeback some of the extents
may be on the cache dev so...

That said, it's not really great to put swap/hibernate on a cache
device... the workloads don't usually benefit much from tiering (since
they tend to be write-once-read-never or write-once-read-once).

>> I am unaware of a mechanism to prohibit this in the kernel-- to say that
>> a given type of block provider can't be involved in a resume operation.
>> Most documentation for hibernation explicitly cautions about the btrfs
>> situation, but use of bcache is less common and as a result generally
>> isn't covered.
>
> Could you maybe add a warning to Documentation/bcache.txt? I think this
> would have saved me.

Yah, I can look at that.

> Best,
> -Nikolaus