Re: [PULL] bcache updates based on git.kernel.dk/linux-block:for-next

On 15/07/17 02:29, tang.junhui@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello Eddie
>
> One thing, please see below:

>>> (remove many unnecessary email receivers)
>>
>>I'm re-adding the stable list to CC as we're discussing a stable kernel.
>>Hope that's OK.
>>
>>> Hi Eddie,
>>>
>>> I think some patches from Junhui Tang are important stable fixes.
>>> After all the patches get reviewed, and accepted in mainline kernel, you
>>> may find them in 4.4 stable tree (any way it won't be very soon for
>>> these fixes show up in stable tree).
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>>Thanks for your reply Coly.  You're right, forgot about that. Before
>>they can go in 4.4 or any other stable kernel they must be in Linus' tree.
>>
>>Of the 9 patches CC'd to stable, it looks to me that so far these 2 have
>>subsequently received approval by you plus at least 1 other person other
>>than the author (e.g. Christoph Hellwig):
>>
>>- fix sequential large write IO bypass
>>- do not subtract sectors_to_gc for bypassed IO
>>
>>The first one looks particularly important to me and Kent himself has
>>also reviewed it.
>>
>>This one also has not received any objections yet and you mentioned you
>>discussed with the author and both concluded it is correct:
>>
>>- Subtract dirty sectors of thin flash from cache_sectors in calculating
>>writeback rate
>
> If you want to apply this patch, please also apply this patch to make
> dirty sectors of thin flashInitializing correctly. Otherwise
> it will subtract a wrong dirty sectors of thin flash.
>
> -bcache: initialize stripe_sectors_dirty correctly for thin flash device

Thank you very much Tang for pointing this out.

I applied all 4 patches on top of vanilla kernel.org 4.4.77 . So they are:

- bcache: fix sequential large write IO bypass
- bcache: do not subtract sectors_to_gc for bypassed IO
- bcache: Subtract dirty sectors of thin flash from cache_sectors in calculating writeback rate
- bcache: initialize stripe_sectors_dirty correctly for thin flash device

They applied without any issues just some fuzz.
There were no issues during build, and I've been running 4.4.77 with
these 4 patches on one server using bcache for 3 days now without any
problems or any unusual logs from bcache in dmesg.

I will send another mail separately, as a reply to this one, with the 4
patches with context adjusted, generated from patched 4.4.77 using diff -up,
in case they are any use to anyone. Not sure if they are any use to you guys
though as they are not generated with git-send-email, but anyway, FWIW.

Thanks,
Eddie