Re: Add Bcache to an existing Filesystem

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Henk Slager wrote:

> > On top of that bcache device, I decided to add an LVM layer (making
> > /dev/bcache* a PV), which is really helpful i.e. with the base problem of
> > this thread: You can create additional bcache devices and pvmove your data
> > to the new PV, without interrupting production.
>
> Yes, if you start from scratch with some disk setup, including LVM can
>  give you a lot of flexibility and almost always-online.
> >> think I would choose to add bcache to each of the four harddisks,
> >

> > If you'd do that with a single caching device, you're in for contention. My
> > gut feeling tells me that running a single bcache backing device/caching
> > device combo on top of MD-RAID is less straining than running MD-RAID across
> > a bunch of bcache devices with a common caching device: The MD advantage of
> > spreading the load across multiple "disks" is countered by accessing a
> > common SSD.
>
> You are right, if you use MD-RAID, after second thought, bcache on top
> of MD is a better choice in most cases as far as I can see. I have
> been thinking to use RAID of MD instead of btrfs raid. I tried/tested
> it with 3-disk RAID5 for some time, but still decided to use only
> btrfs for handling multipe devices.

Definitely.  bcache atop of md, not md atop of bcache.  You would confuse
the sequential-write logic with md on bcache.

Also, with bcache on md, align using --data-offset.  8k is most certainly
not your md chunk size and you don't want write amplification.  You might
wish to align to your stride width (especially if raid5/6), so
--data-offset=chunk_size*num_data_disks in sectors.

--
Eric Wheeler