Re: Add Bcache to an existing Filesystem

On 27 Jun 2017, FERNANDO FREDIANI said:

> Hello Nix
>
> What exactlly you mean by "exploded" ? Has it stopped working at all
> and has that stopped the systems running on the top of it or it just
> stopped the caching device and the backing continued to work well.

It stopped the caching device and refused to mount the rootfs atop it
until I explicitly dissociated it. I haven't reactivated it since (I
might do so once I've rejigged my shutdown process to fully unmount
everything via the early root filesystem, but this system is a crucial
machine in active use and it takes ages to get around to such things).

See <https://marc.info/?l=linux-bcache&m=149687387202378>.

> Regarding my scenario, just to clarify I have 4 x /dev/sdX forming a
> /dev/md124 in RAID 10. This /dev/md124 is the backing device of my
> bcache which in turn has /dev/nvme0n1 as the caching device making
> /dev/bcache0. I guess this would be the most coming scenario right ?

I think so: s/RAID 10/journalled RAID 6/ and you have my setup (well,
part of it: the start of the disk is in uncached RAID-0, and the end is
in unjournalled, uncached RAID-6 with a write bitmap, but the middle
portion is a RAID-6 with bcache -- albeit, presently, in 'none' mode.)

--
NULL && (void)