Re: bcache crashes at boot time

On Wed, 21 Jun 2017, Nix wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2017, Eric Wheeler uttered the following:
>
> > On Mon, 5 Jun 2017, Igor Pavlenko wrote:
> >
> >> [   45.941155] bcache: register_bdev() registered backing device sda3
> >> [   46.138238] bcache: error on 471776aa-1b34-4eff-ba7d-509a9554b43d:
> >> inconsistent ptrs: mark = 3, level = 0, disabling caching
> >
> > ^^^
> >
> > This is the reason, something was inconsistent enough that it couldn't
> > continue.

Kent, do you know what this means in detail, and can you guess what might
have caused it?

> I'm rather worried about this sort of thing, given that I got it after
> my first cache population and less than a week using bcache in anger.

Do you have a difference between `blockdev --getpbsz /dev/cache` vs
/dev/bdev (or whatever your devices are named) ?

The physical blocksize must be the same as the cachedev IIRC.  If 4k, use
-w 4k in make-bcache.  There's a thread somewhere discussing those
details.

--
Eric Wheeler