Re: size limit for backing store? block sizes? ("[sdx] Bad block number requested")

Am Tue, 07 Feb 2017 13:35:58 +0100
schrieb "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen@xxxxxx>:

> Hi *,
>
> we're facing an obsure problem with a fresh bcache setup:
>
> After creating a 8TB (netto) RAID5 device (hardware RAID
> controller), setting it up for bcache (using an existing cache set)
> and populating it with data, we got struck by massive dmesg reports
> of "[sdx] Bad block number requested" during writeback of dirty data.
> Both with our 4.1.x kernel, as well as a 4.9.8 kernel.
>
> After recreating the backing store with 3 TB (netto) and recreating
> the bcache setup, population went without any noticable errors.
>
> While the 8TB device was populated with only the same amount of data
> (2.7 TB), block placement was probably across all of the 8TB space
> available.
>
> Another parameter catching the eye is block sizes - the 8 TB backing
> store was created in a way such that 4k block size was exposed to
> the OS, while the 3 TB backing store was created so that 512b block
> size was reported. The caching set is on a PCI SSD with 512b block
> size.
>
> So with backing:4k and cache:512b and 8 TB backing store size,
> bcache went mad during writeback ("echo 0 > writeback_running"
> immediately made the messages stop). With backing:512b and cache:512b
> and 3 TB backing store size, we had no error reports at all.
>
> On a second  node, we have (had) a similar situation - backing:4k
> and cache:512b, but 4 TB backing store size. We've seen the errors
> there, too, when accessing an especially big logical volume that
> likely crossed some magic limit (block number on "physical volume"?).
> We still see the message there today, only much less frequent since
> we no longer use that large volume on the bcache device. Other
> volumes are there now, probably with a few data spaces at high block
> numbers, leading to the occasional error message (every few minutes)
> during writeback?
>
> Even more puzzling, we have a third node, identical to the latter
> one
> - except that the bcache device is more filled with data and we see
> no such error (yet)...
>
> So here we are - what are we facing? Is it a size limit regarding
> the backing store? Or does the error result from mixing block sizes,
> plus some other triggers?
>
> If the former, where's the limit?
>
> If it is about block sizes, questions pile up: Are the "dos" and
> "don'ts" documented anywhere? It's a rather common situation for us
> to run multiple backing devices on a single cache set, with both
> complete HDDs and logical volumes as backing stores. So it's very
> easy to come into a situation where we see either different block
> sizes between backing store and caching device or even differing
> block sizes between the various backing stores.
>
> - using 512b for cache and 4k for backing device seems not to work,
> unless above is purely a size limit problem
>
> - 512b for cache and 512b for backing store seems to work

> [...]

Hmm, I think for me it refused to attach backend and cache if block
sizes differ. So I think the bug is there...

Once I created backing store and cache store in two separate steps.
During attaching, it complained that block sizes don't match and the
cacheset cannot be attached.

--
Regards,
Kai