Re: 4.8.8, bcache deadlock and hard lockup

On 2016-11-30 19:48, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:57 PM, Eric Wheeler <bcache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, Marc MERLIN wrote:
+btrfs mailing list, see below why

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 12:59:44PM -0800, Eric Wheeler wrote:
On Mon, 27 Nov 2016, Coly Li wrote:

Yes, too many work queues... I guess the locking might be caused by some
very obscure reference of closure code. I cannot have any clue if I
cannot find a stable procedure to reproduce this issue.

Hmm, if there is a tool to clone all the meta data of the back end cache
and whole cached device, there might be a method to replay the oops much
easier.

Eric, do you have any hint ?

Note that the backing device doesn't have any metadata, just a superblock.
You can easily dd that off onto some other volume without transferring the
data. By default, data starts at 8k, or whatever you used in `make-bcache
-w`.

Ok, Linus helped me find a workaround for this problem:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/11/29/667
namely:
   echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
   echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio
(it's a 24GB system, so the defaults of 20 and 10 were creating too many
requests in th buffers)

Note that this is only a workaround, not a fix.

When I did this and re tried my big copy again, I still got 100+ kernel
work queues, but apparently the underlying swraid5 was able to unblock
and satisfy the write requests before too many accumulated and crashed
the kernel.

I'm not a kernel coder, but seems to me that bcache needs a way to
throttle incoming requests if there are too many so that it does not end
up in a state where things blow up due to too many piled up requests.

You should be able to reproduce this by taking 5 spinning rust drives,
put raid5 on top, dmcrypt, bcache and hopefully any filesystem (although
I used btrfs) and send lots of requests.
Actually to be honest, the problems have mostly been happening when I do
btrfs scrub and btrfs send/receive which both generate I/O from within
the kernel instead of user space.
So here, btrfs may be a contributor to the problem too, but while btrfs
still trashes my system if I remove the caching device on bcache (and
with the default dirty ratio values), it doesn't crash the kernel.

I'll start another separate thread with the btrfs folks on how much
pressure is put on the system, but on your side it would be good to help
ensure that bcache doesn't crash the system altogether if too many
requests are allowed to pile up.

Try BFQ.  It is AWESOME and helps reduce the congestion problem with bulk
writes at the request queue on its way to the spinning disk or SSD:
        http://algo.ing.unimo.it/people/paolo/disk_sched/

use the latest BFQ git here, merge it into v4.8.y:
        https://github.com/linusw/linux-bfq/commits/bfq-v8

This doesn't completely fix the dirty_ration problem, but it is far better
than CFQ or deadline in my opinion (and experience).

There are several threads over the past year with users having
problems no one else had previously reported, and they were using BFQ.
But there's no evidence whether BFQ was the cause, or exposing some
existing bug that another scheduler doesn't. Anyway, I'd say using an
out of tree scheduler means higher burden of testing and skepticism.
Normally I'd agree on this, but BFQ is a bit of a different situation from usual because: 1. 90% of the reason that BFQ isn't in mainline is that the block maintainers have declared the legacy (non blk-mq) code deprecated and refuse to take anything new there despite having absolutely zero scheduling in blk-mq. 2. It's been around for years with hundreds of thousands of users over the years who have had no issues with it.