Re: How to create bcachefs?

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 7:21 AM, marcin@xxxxxxxx wrote:
W dniu 24.08.2016 o 08:52, Kent Overstreet pisze:
[...]

Hi!
Hey, sorry for the long delay, been sick past several days.

I was afraid that I'm asking to easy question:) And I hope everything is
fine with you now!

The way arguments
were passed to bcache format was a holdover from old style make-bcache, and didn't make much sense for bcachefs - -C was used for all devices, and --tier
specifies fast devices and slow devices.

I finally got around to redoing the option parsing so we don't need the -C argument today - update your bcache tools, and the command you want is now:

bcache format --tier 0 /dev/sde1 --tier 1 /dev/sdd1

(assuming sde1 is your fast device and sdd1 is your slow device).

Does it means that cache is unavailable and only tiering will be in bcachefs? And... How to mount tiered FS? When I pass one device in mount I'm getting: bcache: bch_open_as_blockdevs() register_cache_set err insufficient devices

Tiering gets you all the advantages of caching, plus you can (with some effort) have the combined filesystem size be the sum of the SSD + HDD capacities, rather than the capacity be determined solely by the capacity of the slow tier (this is not currently the case for bcachefs).

To mount a tiered FS you can either pass all the relevant devices to mount, like:
   mount -t bcache /dev/sda:/dev/sdb:/dev/sdc /mountpoint
(I haven't tested this recently) or ensure that all the relevant devices have been registered with bcache, like so:
   echo /dev/sda | sudo tee /sys/fs/bcache/register_quiet
   echo /dev/sdb | sudo tee /sys/fs/bcache/register_quiet
   echo /dev/sdc | sudo tee /sys/fs/bcache/register_quiet
   mount -t bcache /dev/sdb /mountpoint
(you can use any member of the set as the device to mount in this case).