Re: Testing bcachefs - beginners questions

On Wed, 16 Mar 2016, Marcin Mirosław wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to try to use and test how bcachefs works. I've found page
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/8/21/22 where are described working and
> planned features. What changed since mentioned email? Do I see correctly
> that web page with documentation is rather outdated?
> How can I check bcachefs without using all kernel from
> https://evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git ? Is it enough to copy
> directory drivers/md/bcache to currently used kernel sources and compile
> or I've to use kernel from mentioned git repo?

I think you want this branch:

https://evilpiepirate.org/git/linux-bcache.git/log/?h=bcache-dev

It looks like Kent's tree is up to date (4.5.0) so you could use it
directly.  I wouldn't copy directory trees around to a different kernel
unless you are ready for some backporting work.  Perhaps bcachefs can be
backported to earlier stable kernels when Kent is ready to call it stable.

He was working on endianness compatability last I heard.  It would be neat
to hear some feedback on its status, maybe benchmarks against btrfs/zfs,
too.

-Eric