Re: bcache: register_cache() error opening sdh2: cannot allocate memory => BUG NULL pointer

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Marc MERLIN wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 07:29:36AM +0000, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> > Try this patch.  It adds some error handling:
>
> Thanks, applied. I'll report back if I get output from it.
>
> I think one reason I'm having problem on that server is that I run
> zoneminder which requires a lot of shared memory:
> kernel.shmall = 234217728
> kernel.shmmax = 234217728
>
> Is there a chance that's putting memory pressure in the wrong memory
> pool on the system?

Perhaps, though I'm thinking your shm values are far too large.  Those are
in units of pages, so with 4k pages you have set almost 900GB of shared
memory limit.  Does this machine have 1TB of ram?

I like to set vm.min_free_kbytes = 262144 on my machines.  Its <1% on our
systems and we never have memory issues, even with high memory pressure
and zram for swap.

-Eric