Re: dynamically resizing bcache devices

Hi Denis,

Zitat von Denis Bychkov <manover@xxxxxxxxx>:
Why is it so important to grow the backing device online, without even
re-registering it? It should it be enough to unmount whatever FS is on
top of it, unregister the device and register it again to "resize" it.
(Or reboot the system for that matter). Is there really a pressuring
need to do it on the fly?

from a professional standpoint, rebooting a SAN server just to have some subsystem recognize the increase in available space is a huge step backwards. As a matter of fact, in the chain of hardware - MDRAID - bcache - LVM - FS - NFS / SMB / SCST, bcache is the only component that requires to take the service offline (by umount / reboot). Yes, there is such a need.