Re: Bcache stuck at writeback of a key, consuming 100% CPU, not possible to detach

Le Sun, 30 Aug 2015 10:54:42 +0200
Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx> écrivait:

> Then I noticed that during those situations where the system was
> slow, and processes stuck in D, bcache_writeback CPU usage was
> soaring all the way to saturating a core,

In my experience, bcache_writeback stays in Wait state, therefore
always saturate a core: any machine I'm running bcache on has a
constant load of 1.00 even when completely idle.

> showing this backtrace,
> spending time in refill_keybuf_fn():
 <snip>
> Changing the configuration to writeback_percent=40 helped. For some
> time at least.
>
> When the issue returned, without any further changes to the system, I
> started investigating deeper. Since writeback_percent was large, also
> the amount of dirty data was large.

In my case, when dirty data reaches the upper limit (i.e. when the
amount of dirty data equals the writeback_percent * backing device
size ), and it occurs regularly, the system just freezes...

> Before poking deeper, I decided I
> want to clear the dirty data entierly. So I set the system to
> cache_mode=writethrough and watched the dirty data trickle to the
> backing device.
>
> But then it stopped at 2.8G and didn't progress any further. The
> bcache_writeback thread was at 100% CPU usage again and system was
> near unusable. Reverting to writeback made the system responsive
> again.

The bcache_writeback stays at 100% _even_ when in writethrough mode,
alas. So this looks normal. However dirty_data definitely should drop
to zero...

 <snip>
> I consider this a rather serious bug, even though it is most likely
> caused by the cache device being corrupted. Any hints?

Did you check what "smartctl -a" has to say about your backing device,
and maybe your spinning drives too? Just in case...