Re: layering question.

Hi!

A. James Lewis <james@xxxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

> The problem is tho... with a very large backing store, I'm not really
> happy with a single point of failure in the cache... is there another
> way to mirror the cache device?

Well, AFAIR there are plans to add such capabilities into bcache itself -
read: make it possible to add more than one caching device to a cache set.
It will use some sort of hybrid mirror / striping to get the best
combination of speed and safety - at least that's what the idea is about. I
just don't remember where I've read about it, neither do I know the status
of it.

If you want to eliminate the single point of failure, you may want to try
mdadm with its write-mostly option instead of using bcache. It's slower for
writes obviously but gracefully falls back if the SSD fails. Obviously, you
can also not benefit from having a huge storage because it's classic RAID-1
and thus the smallest member will limit your storage size.

Bcache also has countermeasures for a failing caching device but I didn't
really look into that yet. You should read the documentation about it in
Documentation/bcache.txt (Error Handling). The safest mode to use here is
writethrough.

--
Replies to list only preferred.