Re: layering question.

Hi James,

Zitat von "A. James Lewis" <james@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Thanks for the details... to clarify, you are using raid1 for SSD cache devices, and then creating a RAID6 MD device to act as backing store?

yes - my two SSDs are RAID1 (I named it /dev/md/linux:san02-cache), seven 1TB disks are RAID6 (/dev/md/linux:san02-data), and these two were prepared using "make-bcache -C /dev/md/linux\:san02-cache -B /dev/md/linux\:san02-data" to create /dev/bcach0.

What kernel are you using? You are having some stability issues, but in principle it works?... what is performance like?

Originally, I used the latest OpenSUSE 13.1 stable kernel (kernel-default-3.11.10-29.1), but seeing random reboots that seemed to match bugs fixed in later DRBD versions, the servers were updated to kernel-default-3.18.8-5.1.

Basically, the system works like a charm, we were enthusiastic with the first results. I don't have absolute numbers in terms of throughput, but since switching to bcache, or I/O waits dropped from "5 to 45 %" to "0 to 5%". The servers are mainly used to provide virtual disks for about virtual machines, which are running on a separate server farm connected via Fiber Channel. Additionally, the servers provide NFS access to various file system (among them the home directories of the local users and the working area for a distributed development environment). Add in a small amount of SMB traffic for a few MS-Win machines and you have the overall picture... mostly small-sized accesses, with plenty of reads and writes from various sources. Even with lots of memory caching, that mix did bring our servers to a user-noticable i/o load, which basically vanished when introducing bcache. Only large consecutive writes (i.e. ISOs) do go the disks directly and hence lead to measurable I/O waits... but that's rare and only turns up in monitoring, rather than "felt by users".

As I detailed in the other recent thread, when switching to 3.18.8 we suddenly were unable to create new file systems on one of the servers, mkfs reproducibly lead to a server reboot. Turning bcache to "writethrough" solved this, but made MD report disks in our backing device as failing, always in the context of what seemed to be hanging disk accesses, matching the "bcache locking problem" pattern. (I did apply the set of known patches from this mailing list.)

Since last Saturday, we're back to "writeback" and no more disks failed - but I haven't tried creating new file systems since, I'll have to wait for a maintenance window ;)

Just for completeness: We use /dev/bcache0 as the only "physical volume" to a LVM volume group, and create various logical volumes on top (both for local system use, and many that are used per NFS resource and per "Fiber Channel"-connected VM). The non-system LVs are mirrored to a separate machine via DRBD (which then will periodically break the link and backup the "snapshots" to external media) and the actual file systems (Ext4) are created based on these DRBD resources.

Regards,
Jens