Re: crash: kernel bug in bch_generic_make_request

When it rains, it pours.

Zitat von "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen@xxxxxx>:
Zitat von "Jens-U. Mozdzen" <jmozdzen@xxxxxx>:
Hi everybody,

we experience reproducible server crashes (reboots) when creating new file systems on bcache'd devices.

update: If I set cache_mode to "writethrough", I can successfully create the file system.

over the weekend, I received multiple successive reports about disks failing in the RAID, on both servers. This is a rather new hardware setup, no disk is older than 6 months, so I didn't actually believe in failing disks to be the reason.

In syslog I noticed reports from the upper layers (SCST, which is using files on the ext4->DRBD->LVM->bcache->MD-RAID chain) indicating stalling disk access; DRBD reporting stalling updates from the remote server), both indicating some kind of locking condition inside the kernel. The RAID failures were right after these incidents.

With identical workload, but having turned caching back to "writeback", no more "RAID failures" were reported.

We received end-user reports that system access sometimes hangs for a few seconds, which now makes me believe that the actual cause lies somewhere within the software stack on our servers, most probably within the bcache layer (as no such problems were reported before introducing bcache to our setup).

Is there anyone out there that is running bcache on MD-RAIDs (both for data and cache device) with significant I/O volume, successfully? I'd like to compare setups then :)

Regards,
Jens