Re: [ANNOUNCE] bcachefs!

On 7/24/2015 2:32 PM, Kent Overstreet wrote:
On Tue, Jul 21, 2015 at 04:53:44PM -0500, Jason Warr wrote:

On 7/21/2015 1:37 PM, David Mohr wrote:
On 2015-07-13 18:58, Kent Overstreet wrote:
Short announcement, because I'm in the process of moving - but I wanted
to get
this out there because the code is up and I think it's reasonably stable
right
now.

Bcachefs is a posix filesystem that I've been working towards for -
well, quite
awhile now: it's intended as a competitor/replacement for
ext4/xfs/btrfs.

Current features
- multiple devices
- replication
- tiering
- data checksumming and compression (zlib only; also the code doesn't
work with
   tiering yet)
- most of the normal posix fs features (no fallocate or quotas yet)

Planned features:
- snapshots!
- erasure coding
- more

There will be a longer announcement on LKML/linux-fs in the near future
(after
I'm finished moving) - but I'd like to get it a bit more testing from a
wider
audience first, if possible.
Hi Kent,

one quick question about the roadmap at this point: As far as I understand
bcachefs basically integrates bcache features directly in the filesystem.
So does this deprecate bcache itself in your opinion? Bcache is obviously
still useful for other FS, but I just want to know how things will get
maintained in the future.

It would be rather disappointing if this were the case.  bcache is quite
useful for backing block devices that have no local filesystem, such as
devices exported via iSCSI, devices used directly by VMs, etc...
  - bcachefs/bcache2 getting merged is a _long_ way off, and when it does it's
    going to be more of an ext2/ext3 thing - the existing upstream bcache version
    will stay there for the foreseeable future.

  - bcachefs/bcache2 still has all the same functionality bcache has for caching
    other block devices, and exporting thin provisioned block devices - that
    functionality won't be going away any time soon, if ever - so you'll be able
    to migrate to the new bcache code and on disk format without changing
    anything about how you use it.
The "backing device/cached dev" path _might_ eventually get deprecated in
    favor of having bcache manage all the block devices directly and export thin
    provisioned block devices - this is the existing "flash_vol_create"
    functionality.

    Reason being the thin provisioned/fully bcache managed block devices path is
    quite a bit simpler and diverges less from the functionality bcachefs uses -
    and also cache coherency is fundamentally easier with bcache managing all the
    storage so performance should be better too.

    However, if the backing device functionality ever gets removed it's a _long_
    ways off, and I'll be asking for user feedback and making sure the thin
    provisioned/bcache managed block devices functionality works for everyone
    first.
As long as we get the same basic functionality in addition to the filesystem layer, it sounds like you plan on that, I'm happy.

Thank you for addressing this.