Re: [ANNOUNCE] bcachefs!

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 09:05:39AM +0300, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Does it support discards?

Yes

> Does this announce means that bcache block device
> no longer maintained by developers?

There's no plural, it's just me :)

I've been overly stressed and burned out from a startup gone horribly wrong -
I'm going to try to start doing some maintainence of upstream bcache again once
I've moved.

I apologize for my absence on the list these past months, I've had (and still
have) entirely too much to juggle - hint hint, if anyone wants to jump in and
help out.

> What about performance tests with compared to plain btrfs/ext4?

I haven't done much comparison benchmarking yet, I'll post them once I have. If
anyone else wants to do some benchmarking I'd love to see the results.

(From the testing I have done - untarring the kernel (on a fast device, with the
tar file already uncompressed and in kernel so we're purely cpu bound) -
bcachefs is equal to ext4 to within the margin of error. On dbench when we're
purely cpu bound, bcachefs is roughly 30% off from ext4. I think the majority of
that is bcachefs's dirent code being somewhat cpu heavy).

The long term goal is to be at least as fast on ext4/xfs for any given workload,
and on typical workloads we ought to be faster - and in particular bcachefs
should have better and more predictable latency, due to the way journalling
works.

> Format command have one device, how provide tiering?

--tier specifies the tier of the devices that come after it, where the smaller
index is the faster tier.

Only tiers 0 and 1 are supported for now, that will be increased whenever
someone gets around to it.

If /dev/sda is your fast device and /dev/sdb is your slow device, run

# bcacheadm format -C /dev/sda --tier 1 /dev/sdb

bcacheadm format --help gives you the full list of options.