Re: Issue when mkfs.btrfs on a bcached partition

arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb:

> Here is what I did:
>  # make-bcache -C /dev/sdb1
>  # echo "UUID" > /sys/block/bcache0/bcache/attach
> --------------------------------------
> $ lsblk -o
> sdb                      sdb
> └─sdb1                   sdb1    bcache
>   └─bcache0              bcache0
> --------------------------------
> # mkfs.btrfs -L poppy-root /dev/sdb1
> /dev/sdb1 appears to contain an existing filesystem (bcache).
> Error: Use the -f option to force overwrite.
>

> Please may you tell what is wrong and how can I make btrfs on bcached
> partition?

You need to mkfs on /dev/bcache0. Bcache itself reserves the partition with
its own superblock and creates a subdevice so you cannot accidently access
the data without passing through the cache layer. This means you will also
mount /dev/bcache0 as your btrfs in fstab (or simply use LABEL=poppy-root or
/dev/disk/by-label/...).

If you already overwrote something, I suggest to wipefs first on the
partitions, otherwise the kernel may accidently misdetect filesystems that
are no longer there.

--
Replies to list only preferred.