Re: 3.18.1 + latest bcache-dev

On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 12:17:19PM -0800, Eric Wheeler wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2015, Rolf Fokkens wrote:
>
> > On 01/05/2015 08:47 AM, Slava Pestov wrote:
> > > The plan is to incrementally backport bug fixes and optimizations from
> > > bcache-dev to upstream for the foreseeable future.
> > As an ethousiastic bcache user myself I would be very happy if there's a
> > transition plan! :-)
>
> Would it make sense to call this bcache2 and merge both into the linux
> tree once bcache2 is stable enough for broader testing?

Yeah that might be what happens.

> To the extent possible, you could reuse common code paths and simplify the
> backporting of bug fixes into the existing stable branch.

Code reuse is problematic because struct bkey itself changes, a lot of the code
that's factored out as a library now depends on the specific layout of struct
bkey :/

Gonna try and backport as much as possible that doesn't require changing the on
disk format when I have time, though.