Re: How important is bcache cache device in write-thru mode? (was Tiered bcache)

on Jan 28, 2014, Dr. Greg Wettstein <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>The goal for this driver is a block based interface to RAM for use as
>a cache set for bcache. Since it sits directly on the physical
>hugepage allocator and associated page magazine the block devices can
>be dynamically configured, unlike the current RAM based block device,
>which also has the disadvantage of being implemented on top of page
>cache. None of this should be construed as a gripe against the Linux
>VM but obviously one does not want memory pressure to start driving a
>high speed cache store out onto disk.

Thank you.  In my opinion a dynamic ram disk is one of the few pieces still needed in the block device layer.  I would be happy to help beat the crap out of it!

Any thoughts on this driver making use of the DM or MD framework?  Obviously your not going to have data persist across a reboot but do you know how you will handle boot time configuration on a device(s) that you want to come back without manual or scripted intervention?