Re: Unable to create /dev/bcacheN after initial creation

[disclaimer: haven't tried bcache on / myself]

from the manual steps given, I think there needs to also be an attaching
operation:

  echo "<cset-uuid>" >/sys/block/dm-xy/bcache/attach

Not sure why often the backing device must be explicitly attached to the
caching device to make /dev/bcache<n> show up. Perhaps some cleanup left
to do, so it doesn't want to be mountable without its caching device.

You should put "bcache" into /etc/modules und run update-initramfs,
otherwise the bcache module will not be ready when the kernel needs it
for mounting the real root device.
More tweaks might be necessary, don't know if that already gives you the
udev rules inside the initramfs (it should, if you have bcache-tools
installed which provide initramfs-tools/hooks/bcache).

Regards
Matthias