Re: bcache and SSD over provisioning

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 6:13 AM, Matthew Patton <pattonme@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 03:42:54 -0500, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> First I'd like to know if over-provisioning is still needed when
>> bcache is used ?
>

> it's needed for any decent, sustained write load if you don't want
> performance to crash thru the floor. But it doesn't sound like this is your
> use case. Are you sustaining 5000+ write IOPs?
>

>>   - Should I create 2 partitions with one left emtpy and whose size is
>> roughly 7% of the device size ?

bcache has a pretty flash friendly write pattern, so you probably
don't need a huge lot of empty space.  The 7% might in fact be enough,
but bumping it up to 10%-12% wouldn't hurt.  I think the >25% numbers
are more relevant for non-flash friendly writes (like random writes).
In that case you definitely want lots of free space.