Re: Linux 3.11-rc4 Writeback Cache Corruption

On 5 September 2013 05:16, Zachary Palmer <zachary.palmer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Whoops; forgot to send this e-mail to the whole list.  :)
>>
>> So I have some unfortunate test results regarding this corruption issue.
>> I tested my laptop on two kernels I built today.  The procedure was as
>> follows:
>>
>>     1. Check out bcache-3.10-stable.  Kernal was build using the .config I
>> have for Debian package linux-image-3.10-0.bpo.2-686-pae=3.10.5-1~bpo70+1.
>> All new options were left at defaults.
>>     2. Begin by checking out bcache git repository at bcache-for-3.11.
>> Next, add Linux stable git as an origin.  Then, "git br temp; git co temp;
>> git merge linux-3.11.y".  The merge applies automatically.  Build the
>> resulting kernel, again using the above .config with all new options left at
>> defaults.
>>
>> My hope was that one of these two kernels would resolve both (a) the cache
>> corruption issue and (b) my hibernate/suspend problem. This did not appear
>> to be the case.  Using kernel #2 above (Linux 3.11.0), cache corruption was
>> immediately evident; both apt-cacher and MySQL failed to start due to
>> segfaults.  Cache corruption was resolved by detaching and reattaching the
>> cache device under a clean kernel.
>>
>> Using kernel #1 above, I get the same results as the Debian stock kernel
>> for Wheezy backports (the one from the package named above): bcache seems to
>> work just fine until the kernel attempts to stop devices for suspend,
>> hibernate, or shutdown; at this point, bcache times out waiting for the
>> device to stop and the laptop never changes power states.
>>
>> For the time being, it is easier for me to live without suspend/hibernate
>> than it is for me to migrate back to a cacheless layout; moving all of that
>> data around is time-consuming and I really want to use bcache.  :)  If there
>> is any information I could collect with my machine that would help in the
>> debugging process, please let me know!

Hello Zach,

I am working now with kernel 3.11.0-rc7 (x86_64) and this issue is solved.

In some previous kernel releases with pending patches to be applied,
instead merging, I tried to replace contents in
(kernel)/drivers/md/bcache with latest git for 3.11 and it compiled
and worked.

Josep

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Zach
>>>
>>> [This mail was also posted to gmane.linux.kernel.bcache.devel.]

>>> Yeah, it'll merge cleanly.  You can reuse the .config and build with
>>>
>>> `make deb-pkg -j -l6`, which is slowly replacing make-kpkg functionality.
>>>

> --

Salutacions...Josep