Re: Converting existing partition to bcache backing device without loss of data

On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:27:33AM -0700, Adam Brenner wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I am in the process of testing bcache on our HPC cluster to act as
> cache for our gluster storage (~750TB).
>
> I notice that during the setup process on our test cluster, our
> backing device (where all our data is stored) will need to be
> formatted in order to support bcache.
>
> Does a way exist so we do not have to format our backing device? Or is
> working being done to support this?

Unfortunately, there's no general purpose way - the faq explains why (I
just fixed the wiki so it's there again :)

http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/FAQ/

However, Gabriel de Perthuis has a tool to do in place conversion - I
can't remember if it was limited to lvm devices or not - Gabriel, what
was the link to that again? I should stick a link to it in the wiki or
give you an account on it so you can.