Re: bcache hangs with continuous write I/O to SSD device: me too

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013, Kent Overstreet wrote:

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:42:59PM +0300, Juha Aatrokoski wrote:
I ran into the same bug as Heiko Wundram reported a while back:
after a few (2-4) days of normal desktop usage, bcache hangs and
dstat shows continuous 50MB/s write to the cache SSD partition with
one CPU core maxed out in IO wait. I remembered Kent's answer to the
later message, and at least echoing 0 to writeback_running did
nothing in my system. The bcache device consists of an SSD partition
and two disks in md raid0, and there is dmcrypt on top of bcache.

The branch was bcache patched to a 3.7.10 (Gentoo) kernel. Is bcache
the correct branch, or should I be using bcache-for-upstream? (There
are many branches in the git repo, but I can't find any
documentation/description on what they are and who should use them.)

I had to revert back to the previous setup, which was bcache-3.2
patched to a 3.6.11 kernel and which doesn't have the problem. But
it looks like bcache-3.2 cannot be trivially (i.e. without more
detailed knowledge about bcache and the bio subsystem) ported to 3.7
kernels, so I guess I'll be stuck with 3.6 until the bug is fixed.

So, I'm not having any luck with reproducing it, but I do have a
possible fix in the bcache-testing branch - any chance you can give that
a try and let me know if it works?

OK, I'll test it when I have time, which may not be until next weekend.