From: linux-bcache-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:linux-bcache-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kent Overstreet
Sent: 02 November 2012 15:34
To: James Sefton
Cc: linux-bcache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Partitions?

On Fri, Nov 02, 2012 at 03:24:13AM +0000, James Sefton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have got my /dev/bcache0 device showing up and attached the cache.
>
> I then used fdisk to add a single partition to it but it gave an error on exit:
>
> WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid argument.
> The kernel still uses the old table. The new table will be used at the
> next reboot or after you run partprobe(8) or kpartx(8)
>

> I have had this before quite a bit and often have to run partprobe
> after leaving fdisk for the partition table to be read and partitions populated in /dev.
>
> However, when running partprobe (or partprobe /dev/bcache0) I get the following:
>
> Error: Error informing the kernel about modifications to partition
> /dev/bcache0p1 -- Invalid argument.  This means Linux won't know about
> any changes you made to /dev/bcache0p1 until you reboot -- so you
> shouldn't mount it or use it in any way before rebooting.
> Error: Failed to add partition 1 (Invalid argument)
>

> I checked /dev and confirmed that bcache0p1 was not present.
>

> What did I do wrong?

Oh, that's nothing you did... the bcache code is just creating an unpartitionalable block device.

I suppose there's no real reason for that...

I _think_ all you'd need to change is one line, in
drivers/md/bcache/super.c: if you search through the file, you'll find a call to alloc_disk(1) somewhere - change that to alloc_disk(16).

Want to try that and let me know if it works?