Re: problem w/ read caching..

Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@...> writes:

> Sounds like a good portion of your IO is bypassing the cache. That
> will happen if some of it's sequential, or if the SSD latency goes
> over a threshold - sequential_cutoff, congested_read_threshold_us and
> congest_write_threshold_us (if I'm remembering the names correctly)
> are the settings that control all that. 0 disables all of them.

So I set the sequential_cutoff and congested_read_threshold_us to both be 0.
Since I was only doing reads, I figured there was no need to mess with the write
option.

But, I'm still seeing a problem.

My hardware is:
1 - Dell PowerEdge R710 w/ 24 x Xeon processors, 96GB of ram
2 - Micron P320H SSD
3 - LSI storage device connected by a SAS interface

What I see is that when I do random reads over a 10GB region, the cache warms up
but hits a read response plateau at about 7ms. I still see a LOT (i.e. 32000
IOPS) of I/O to the disk.

Yes, if I run the same test over a 1GB region, runs really fast. Pretty close to
the max IOPS rate of the SSD.

So I'm thinking there is a problem here or I have a bcache config issue.

I'm willing to try things but I need some guidance on what to look for as it
seems like a bcache issue.

Thanks for the help.

-brad w.