RE: Which Version

er if you believe you have received
this email in error.

On 14.08.2012 11:11, James Harper wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Which version of bcache do I pull from git if I want the latest stable release? Am I correct in saying that the only way to obtain bcache is to pull and
compile the entire Linux kernel from the bcache git server?
Also, I wish to run bcache on my Xen Dom0, I'm guessing that these kernels
have to correct Xen patches for this (As xen kernel patches are now
mainline)?

I'm using the 3.2 branch, purely because I wanted to continue using
the 3.2.x kernel from Debian. According to a question I asked recently
it's mostly up to date. To do this, I checked out the 3.2 branch of
bcache, and extracted a diff from the v3.2 tag (eg the mainstream
linux), then applied this to the Debian source. I can't remember but I
think the patch needed a bit of nudging in one place. I've only been
testing for a few days but so far it's flawless.

Thanks for the info. Do you have the steps you used to do this? I've never patched a kernel before from another source....

I'd be using the Ubuntu kernel so the steps should be similar

When you create the bcache devices, I suggest setting the block size
to 512 bytes, otherwise the resulting bcache devices have 4K sectors
sizes and Xen doesn't like it. YMMV.

Ah yes. I'm also using MD RAID. Does the chunk size matter at all?

Because I'm layering lvm on bcache on md on sd, I had to tweak the
initramfs scripts to make things load in the right order, and also you
still need to put /boot on something grub understands eg /dev/sdX or
/dev/mdX. Grub doesn't understand bcache (yet?).

I'll be doing the same thing. What tweaks did you have to make? My bcache'ed MD RAID volume will be seperate to the boot and root partitions, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for your help