Re: bcache-3.2 branch

On 10 July 2012 03:07, Kent Overstreet <koverstreet@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 02:32:36AM +1000, Joseph Glanville wrote:

>> > Hey, sorry for the delay - I just got back from my first sort-of
>> > vacation in... awhile :P
>> >
>> > I'm pretty sure I know the approximate source of the regression - I
>> > fairly recently reworked some code in the generic block layer to handle
>> > arbitrary size bios (which enabled some major cleanups in the bcache
>> > code). I've chased down a few bugs with that code since then.
>> >
>> > Got some logs for me to look at? Or did you want me to give you pointers
>> > on debugging kernel code? :)
>>
>> A few pointers would be great. :)
>
> More than happy to :) I'm not sure what sort of general pointers I could
> give you off the top of my head - there's no Unified Theory of
> Debugging, it's just a big bag of tricks you learn to narrow things down
> until you figure it out. But I'll try to tell you everything I'd do with
> this bug, at least (and whatever else you find :)
>
> Also just understanding how things work so you can figure out a root
> cause from the symptom.
>

>> Also how do I best get it to do a really verbose log that I can use to
>> help you track down bugs?
>
> I think for all the bugs that have shown up in the wild so far we
> haven't needed any special logging, just the normal stuff has been fine.
> There's all kinds of logging and tracing and whatnot buried in there but
> for the most part you don't want to bother with the non default stuff
> unless you have to.
>
> But anyways, just whatever the kernel spits out is the place to start.
> If you've still got that, I'll take a look and tell you what I'd get out
> of it.

Unfortunately the kernel wasn't talking much, I didn't see anything
unusual and everything else seemed to work fine. :(
I was able to successfully use bcached LVM volumes with filesystems
too, it only became an issue when trying to use them as block devices
for virtual machines.
>From the virtual machine all I could see where I/O errors, probably
caused by the xen_blkback module returning failed read.
Debugging that beast is not all that fun but I will see how I can go
setting up a test system sometime this week with the latest bcache
code.
We are pretty entrenched in 3.2 but would be be more useful if I
carried out testing on latter kernels instead or is 3.2 fine?