Re: Quick bcache benchmark

Here's some more info. I'm running kernel 3.1.4. When I do random
writes, the 'bypassed' number increases in stats. Now I'm random
writing direct to /dev/bcache0 and get the same result.

The application I'm using to test does the following:

1. looks at size of test file
2. divides size of file by a cmd line specified io size (tried 512b
and 4k) and considers that the blockcount for file
3. randomly selects a block number between 0 and blockcount
4. writes a random string of characters of blocksize to specified block
5. repeat 3 and 4

I'll try a few other benchmark tools.

[root@sansrv2-10 bcache]# for i in `ls`; do echo -n "$i "; cat $i; done
label
readahead 0
running 1
sequential_cutoff 4.0M
sequential_merge 1
state dirty
verify 0
writeback 1
writeback_delay 30
writeback_metadata 1
writeback_percent 0
writeback_running 1

SSD benchmark:
[root@sansrv2-10 ~]# ./seekmark -t16 -q -w destroy-data -f /dev/sde

WRITE benchmarking against /dev/sde 218880 MB

total time: 5.39, time per WRITE request(ms): 0.067
14839.55 total seeks per sec, 927.47 WRITE seeks per sec per thread

bcache0 benchmark:

[root@sansrv2-10 ~]# ./seekmark -t16 -q -w destroy-data -f /dev/bcache0

WRITE benchmarking against /dev/bcache0 7628799 MB

total time: 510.75, time per WRITE request(ms): 6.384
156.63 total seeks per sec, 9.79 WRITE seeks per sec per thread

There also seems to be some work needed with clean-up, since I'm
unfamiliar with how bcache works I attempted to make-bcache twice,
thinking I'd start over. That worked, but because my cache device was
already registered I was unable to re-register my newly formatted
cache dev, got "kobject_add_internal failed for bcache with -EEXIST,
don't try to register things with the same name in the same
directory." I was still able to use my cache device via the old uuid,
but this will probably cause problems on reboot. Perhaps an unregister
file in /sys/fs/bcache would help, I also tried rmmod'ing bcache to
see if I could clear /sys/fs/bcache, but no luck. make-bcache should
perhaps check for an existing superblock, ask for confirmation, and
give some sort instruction on how to unregister, or do it for you if
you reformat.