Re: patch for 2.6.36.4

On 08/24/11 04:58, Justin Rush wrote:
I am running 2.6.36.4 and I had to apply a few patches to get current hardware working as well as the lio backports so I prefer to stay on this kernel.  Is there a 2.6.34.4 patch available?  If not, can I make one?

Looking at this helpful human's post, it looks fairly straightforward:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.bcache.devel/24

I checked out both trees, then switched to my branch:
git checkout -b 2.6.36.4

Then created the patch:
git diff linux-2.6 linux-bcache>patch

You probably want something like
git diff v2.6.34 linux-bcache > patch

Really you should just be able to do a git merge linux-bcache from the 2.6.34-stable branch though...

However, this resulted in a 236MB patch file, which is several orders of magnitude bigger than any other patch I have ever used.  Assuming this is even the right way to do it, do I just install it by moving it into my running kernel's source and doing a patch -p0 patch ?

Slightly un-related question:
I want to use this as a cache for two sw raid6 arrays.  The raid devices have a bunch of logical volumes carved out of them and those LVs are presented to LIO and served out as iSCSI LUNs.  Will bcache serve as a write cache for these devices?  My read performance is great, but my random write performance, or write performance in general, really sucks hard.

Yeah, writeback caching has been implemented for quite awhile now, just have to flip it on :)

echo 1 > /sys/block/bcache0/bcache/writeback