Re: comparison with rival projects

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Kent Overstreet
<kent.overstreet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 03:26 PM, luvar@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Iam new in problematic of caching persistent data. I want to use caching
>> (on ssd disk) on my desktop with a lot of ram. I hope, it will provide me
>> better latency for starting programs (developer/scientific desktop). My
>> questions are:
>>
>> Is it possible to use single ssd disk for making two caches? One for
>> /dev/md2 (root partition, raid10) and second for /dev/md3 (raid5,home
>> partition, etc) (I hope this is possible by partitioning that ssd disk and
>> using partitions for caching)
>
> Yep. One cache device can be used with (currently) up to 256 backing
> devices.
>

>> Is it dangerous (in terms of data loss) to use writethrough caching to
>> single ssd disk of raid5 block device? (I have 5 disks, using lvm on top of
>> raid).
>
> Shouldn't be, recovery from unclean shutdown is quite well tested, both
> writethrough and writeback should be perfectly safe.
>

>> For caching device is most critical number for random reads or operations
>> per second. Is it right?
>
> For writethrough caching random reads, for writeback both reads and writes.
>

>> Trim is not need feature for cache ssd device. It will have same cache
>> performance without it. Is it right?
>
> Really just depends on the ssd; some (cheaper, earlier) drives are known for
> performance significantly degrading over time, with trim helps with (but
> doesn't necessarily eliminate). Bcache uses trim if it's available.
>

>> What benefits/disadvantages have bcache [1] project over dm-cache [2] and
>> flashcache [3]? My current knowledge is that writethrough is possible only
>> in bcache, but dm-cache is implemented in more "standard" way (thdough
>> devicemaper). Also bcache has some more information on web.
>>
>> [1] - http://bcache.evilpiepirate.org/
>> [2] - http://users.cis.fiu.edu/~zhaom/dmcache/index.html
>> [3] - https://github.com/facebook/flashcache
>
> Flashcache is based off of dm-cache.
>
> Flashcache has been used in production awhile, bcache is still a little
> rough around the edges - but bcache has better performance, more features,
> and it always orders writes correctly so as to be crash safe (flashcache has
> a "torn write" problem).

Kent, now that we are on the topic, I wonder if there has been some
benchmarking comparing bcache to flashcache performance?

Also I wonder if you plan to target for getting bcache included in
mainline kernel. I wonder if such attempts were made for flashcache
but that's probably off-topic.

Thanks.
--
Nauman