Re: master levels

On Mon, 2 Feb 2015, Chris Caudle wrote:

Everyone should read Bob Katz's original two part article on level and
metering recommendations:

http://www.digido.com/articles-and-demos12/13-bob-katz/22-level-practices-part-1.html

http://www.digido.com/how-to-make-better-recordings-part-2.html

tl;dr version: Use calibrated monitor levels and set the levels to sound
appropriate for the style of music you are mixing, like used for mixing
films.

Thank you for posting this. It explains a number of things to me. Ardour at default has peek meters for each track because avoiding clipping while having a strong signal is important. Once the track is recorded, the meter for that track serves only to remind us there is signal there because we will mix the final level by what sounds good not the meter. The master meter is set to look at average levels because we are mixing for a point that _should_ have the needed headroom already so the quality of the sound is more important.

I bought an SPL meter years ago just so I could keep a standard level on my monitors to mix to. I was using 80db as I recall, so not too far out. (the meter is not super high quality so mainly it was giving me the same level all the time.)

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net